The Adventures Return

Welcome back or welcome to Adventures at Franklin! It’s been exactly a year since the last post, but I promise it will not be a year till the next one! I won’t cover everything from the past year, but I will briefly recap the happenings of the Franklin community since entering the new decade. I may or may not also introduce myself at the end ;) as the proverbial blogging authorship torch has been passed to the next generation of Franklin, to yours truly. 

Outside of Franklin, there are many talking points from this new decade. Just to name a few, there have been: historical moments (#Parasite), tragic deaths (#KB24), politics (#Brexit), and we are barely 8 weeks into 2020.
Similarly, there are lots of things happening at FUS. It’s the start of spring semester which also means:
  • Sadly, we lost some faces from last fall as they study abroad, return to their home institutions or move on to a new adventures, but we have some new faces on campus! According to -not the most reliable- sources (my friends), we have around 25 to 35 new Franklin members. The exact number is not important, what is important is we are happy to have them here! Here are a few photos from their orientation week as per @franklinuniversityswitzerland on Instagram.

• On top of that, there are even some events that are not listed! Last week we had a seed planting event for the garden, and a screening of Parasite. My point is, there is a lot going on around campus :D  
If you’ve made it this far, then I should introduce who's writing this post, A.K.A myself. So, without further delay…
My name is Asa, I’m from Switzerland and Thailand, and I’m in my 3rd year at Franklin University Switzerland. I will graduate in December 2020 with a major in Social Justice and Sustainability, and a minor in French. I like to watch movies, play and watch sports, play card games, cook, hang with friends, travel, and play my guitar. In addition to writing this blog, I am also an Admissions Ambassador, a Campus Safety Manager, and I was an Academic Mentor for the past 2 years. Here’s a photo of me :)

To answer an important question: Why write for this blog?

2 simple reasons. Firstly, I wanted to be a part of the Adventures at Franklin blogging process, even before arriving at Franklin. I remember reading blog entries as a senior in high school, at a time when they came out on a weekly or biweekly basis. As I read, I felt like I was experiencing Franklin life and was a part of the community (in hindsight, reading the posts did not help with senioritis, but c’est la vie and high school thankfully does not last forever). This blog has huge potential and I want to help realize that potential. 

Secondly, I think a blog run by students is genius, and this blog already has an amazing foundation. There are 103 posts on this blog (104 with this post!) from 5 different writers, all with unique experiences and stories to tell. Before writing this post, I took the time to go through previous posts, and it's incredible to witness the change of FUS through different Franklin generations. Adventures at Franklin started in 2013, at a time where Franklin University Switzerland was still Franklin College. So to my wonderful predecessors -Jessica, Morgan, Gabrielle, Ember and Rhys- thank you. 

I look forward to the challenge of maintaining and growing this blog as a resource, hopefully for everyone. In the words of Gabrielle, the writer when I read the blog as a senior in high school: “I’m writing it for all of you current and prospective students, parents and families, alumni, faculty and staff, and anyone else out there who is interested in the happenings and experiences here at Franklin”. 

If you’ve managed to reach the end of this post, I hope you stick around for the next one, to be released on 22.02.20. If you have any questions or thoughts, then please feel free to leave a comment. The adventures return :) 

A presto! 
Asa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Key Words and Phrases to Know in the Major Swiss Languages

Switzerland: All About Cantons!

Swiss Cities in Depth: Bern